Omnia Oven Recipe
Veggie Shepherds Pie
This classic English hearty dish is perfect for cooking in the Omnia Oven. We have taken a traditional old classic and turned it into a tasty, healthy veggie version which looks and tastes great. It also goes a long way and we always end up getting 2 nights dinners out of it.
Instead of using meat as you would traditionally we use a lentil and vegetable base and combine it with a tasty homemade sauce which includes soy sauce and balsamic vinegar with a variety of herbs. We make it super moorish by topping the base with a sweet potato and white potato mix with breadcrumbs and cheese on top. When baked on the stove in an Omnia Oven it comes out super rich and the top nice and crispy.
We have created the recipe below so it can be adapted for vegans too (which is the version we use).
How to Make a Shepherds Pie Vegan
It's really simple - you substitute the meat for lentils and mix with healthy veggies. You could also use vegetarian mince meat if you prefer - we just love the lentil veggie version and get's us more of our 5 a day!
Veggie Shepherds Pie Ingredients
Tip- we usually double the below ingredients so it lasts 2 nights and you don’t have 1/2 tins of stuff left over!
- 150g white potatoes
150g sweet potatoes
- 10g margarine
- 1 red onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 100g chestnut mushrooms
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 1 vegetable stock cube (to make 50ml stock)
- ½ tin lentils
- ½ tin chickpeas
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 30g panko breadcrumbs
Step by Step Method for Making a Veggie Shepherds Pie
1. Peel and chop all potatoes into roughly 2cm chunks. Place the white potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes
2. Add the sweet potatoes in after 5 minutes
3. Drain and then add the margarine in with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Mash until smooth and set aside
4. Peel and finely slice the onion and the carrots. Fry with a splash of oil for 10 minutes until softened on a medium heat
5. Meanwhile roughly chop the mushrooms and then add to the pan with the garlic paste, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and tomato paste. Cook for a further 10 minutes
6. Add into the vegetable stock (50 ml), lentils and chickpeas (with the juice) and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes
7. Stir in the rosemary and thyme and then add into the Omnia
8. Spread the mash over the top and sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs on top
9. Heat over a medium/low heat for 20-30 minutes
If you are not familiar with an Omnia Oven then here is some information for you:
Campervan Cooking and Baking with an Omnia Stove Top Oven
Anything is Possible with an Omnia Oven - Even Delicious Cakes!
We cook and bake all our cakes and all our food which needs oven cooking in an Omnia oven. It’s a fantastic bit of kit that allows you to oven cook on the stove and so you don’t have to have a built in oven.
To see some of our favourite bakes and cooking recipes that we have used the Omnia oven for see our blogs here:
For the purposes of this blog we will provide the recipe and method for baking the veggie shepherds pie in an Omnia Oven, however, if you have a built in oven the same principles apply - just use a roasting dish instead of the Omnia tin.
Please do contact us if you have any questions and please also do share photos with us of your chocolate marble creation. Tag us on instagram or facebook using @brownbirdandcompany. Please also feel free to leave a comment below.
If you are looking to buy an Omnia Oven or any accessories then please take a look at our Omnia Oven UK Shop here.