Omnia Oven Recipe - Easy Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake
Who doesn’t love a lemon drizzle cake? It’s a classic English cake that always goes down a treat when you bake it for family and friends. We love having lemon drizzle cake with a tart lemon syrup which is run through the middle of the cake - it makes it super lemony! You can also put on an additional lemon icing topping (which not only tastes good but makes it look prettier too!) but we tend to prefer it just with the syrup.
The good news is that it’s so simple to bake - even using a vegan Omnia Oven recipe. The bad news is - it won’t last very long!
Campervan Baking with an Omnia Stove Top Oven
We cook and bake all our cakes and all our food which needs oven cooking in an Omnia oven. It’s a fantastic bit of kit that allows you to oven cook on the stove and so you don’t have to have a built in oven.
To see some of our favourite bakes and cooking recipes that we have used the Omnia oven for see our blogs here:
For the purposes of this blog we will provide the recipe and method for baking the lemon drizzle cake in an Omnia Oven, however, if you have a built in oven the same principles apply - just use a cake tin instead of the Omnia tin.
How To Bake a Cake in an Omnia Oven
It’s simple - you just put the cake mixture in the Omnia and then place on top of the hob.
We just have 2 bits of advice for baking cakes in an Omnia oven:
1. Cook on a much lower flame than normal - otherwise your cake might get a burnt bum!
2. Use an Omnia silicone liner - It makes getting the cakes out much easier and are also much nicer to clean.
How to Make a Lemon Drizzle Cake Vegan
It’s easy - no egg and no milk! It really doesn’t need them to make this cake light and tangy just like a lemon drizzle cake should be!
Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake Ingredients
- 280g self-raising flour
- 200g white caster sugar (or golden caster sugar)
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 170ml of cold water
Lemon syrup ingredients
- 2 tbs white sugar
- 1 lemon juiced
Step by Step Method for Making a Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake
1. Grease the Omnia oven tin (or liner) with margarine.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the lemon juice, oil and 170ml of cold water and mix until smooth.
4. Pour into the Omnia oven and bake for approx 30 mins on a low flame until a skewer comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes and transfer to a plate to cool fully.
Lemon syrup method
6. Mix the sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and heat up in a pan gently until the sugar crystals have dissolved.
7. Use a skewer to make small holes through the cake (don’t go all the way through) approx 1cm apart and pour the lemon syrup over the top of the holes.
There you have it - a super zingy vegan lemon drizzle cake!
Please do contact us if you have any questions and please also do share photos with us of your Lemon Drizzle Creation. Tag us on instagram or facebook using @brownbirdandcompany. Please also feel free to leave a comment below.
If you are looking to buy an Omnia Oven or any accessories then please take a look at our Omnia Oven UK Shop here.
This post contains affiliate links. If you buy anything through them we will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting us and our blog at no extra cost to you.